Fall is a special season, not just for its changing leaves and cooler temperatures, but also for the tasty treats it brings. One of these treats that’s sure to be a hit in any home is Maple Bourbon Apple Butter. This delicious recipe combines the warm flavors of maple syrup, bourbon whiskey, applesauce, spices, and cinnamon into one spreadable treat that’s perfect for breakfast toast or as an accompaniment to meats and cheeses. It can easily be made at home with some simple ingredients, and can even be stored in the refrigerator for weeks so you can enjoy this delectable seasonal dish all season long!
What Is Maple Bourbon Apple Butter?
Maple Bourbon Apple Butter is a traditional spread made from cooking down apples until they’re thick and creamy like butter. The addition of maple syrup, bourbon whiskey, and spices adds warmth and depth of flavor that takes this recipe to the next level. The result is a smooth, sweet apple spread that will have your taste buds singing.
Ingredients Needed for Maple Bourbon Apple Butter
Making your own Maple Bourbon Apple Butter requires only a few simple ingredients:
- 6 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup bourbon whiskey
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
Instructions for Making Maple Bourbon Apple Butter
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, making Maple Bourbon Apple Butter is easy! Just follow these steps:
1. In a large pot over medium heat, combine the applesauce, maple syrup, bourbon whiskey, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt.
2. Stirring often, bring the mixture to a simmer and reduce the heat to low.
3. Allow the mixture to cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced by half (about 30 minutes).
4. Remove from the heat and let cool before transferring to an airtight container. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serving Suggestions for Maple Bourbon Apple Butter
Maple Bourbon Apple Butter makes a delicious spread for toast or biscuits, or try serving it alongside roasted pork or ham. It’s also wonderful when added to oatmeal or yogurt for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. It pairs nicely with sharp cheddar cheese on crackers or bagels, too!
Storing Leftover Maple Bourbon Apple Butter
Any leftover Maple Bourbon Apple Butter should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three weeks. For longer storage, freeze the leftovers in freezer safe containers for up to six months.
Variations on the Maple Bourbon Apple Butter Recipe
The great thing about this recipe is that it’s versatile enough to accommodate different tastes and preferences. Here are some variations you can try:
- Add orange zest and juice for a citrusy twist
- Substitute brown sugar for part of the maple syrup for a richer flavor
- Use honey instead of maple syrup if desired
- Experiment with different types of apples such as Gala, Honeycrisp, or Braeburn
- Spice it up with cloves or cardamom
Nutritional Information for Maple Bourbon Apple Butter
This delicious treat is surprisingly good for you! A single serving (two tablespoons) contains approximately 40 calories, 7 grams carbohydrates, 0 grams fat, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 8 milligrams sodium, and 0 grams protein.
Health Benefits of Eating Maple Bourbon Apple Butter
Not only is Maple Bourbon Apple Butter delicious, but it’s also healthy! Apples are rich in vitamins A & C which help boost immunity and protect against disease. Cinnamon helps regulate blood sugar levels and improve heart health. And finally, the addition of pure maple syrup means you get a dose of antioxidants and minerals that are essential for overall wellness.
Tips and Tricks for Making Maple Bourbon Apple Butter
Here are some tips to ensure your Maple Bourbon Apple Butter comes out perfectly every time:
- Start with the best quality apples possible; organic ones are preferable.
- Be sure to stir the mixture frequently while cooking so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Adjust the sweetness according to personal preference; add more maple syrup if you’d like it sweeter.
- Once cooled completely, transfer the apple butter to clean jars or containers with tight lids. Make sure there is no water present when sealing them.
- If freezing, leave some headroom in each container because liquids expand when frozen.
With its unique combination of warming flavors and nutritious ingredients, Maple Bourbon Apple Butter is sure to become a favorite fall treat in your house! It’s incredibly easy to make at home and lasts several weeks in the refrigerator – perfect for those who want something quick yet delicious during autumnal months. Enjoy it on toast or pair it with meats and cheeses; however you choose to eat it, this tasty recipe is sure to satisfy!
I am an inspired, life-long homesteader with a heart for simple, sustainable living. Growing up surrounded by farmland in the rural Midwest, I developed a deep respect for nature and the rewards of cultivating your own land. That’s why I’m passionate about helping others become homesteaders, too. Through my website therootedhomestead.com, I share my DIY tips, share inspiring stories of other homesteaders, and provide resources for anyone who dreams of growing their own food or living off the land. I hope to open a door to a more joyful, meaningful and purposeful life for all.